I just came across this video and felt compelled to share it. Three and three quarter minutes of amazing animation showing how numbers create all the beautiful things we see around us. Enjoy!

6 Responses to “Nature by Numbers”

1. gary miller says:

Beautiful. I wonder if he’s made any more films like this?

2. aranya says:

I haven’t seen any – imagine it would take a while…

3. Elle says:

Aranya, I’m reading your MOST excellent book, “Permaculture Design” which I received in the mail yesterday from amazon.com. I started reading it and couldn’t put it down. I’m almost half way through it and have a question (please pardon me for posting here, but I don’t know how else to ask you).

In the Site Survey: Recording Information chapter, page 74, you mention utilizing glass bottles as bed edging and since I have to (sadly) discard so many 16 oz glass bottles, I’m very excited at the prospect of actually using these functionally in a garden.

Can you tell me how you use them and are they specifically for aesthetics or do they provide a function with regard to temperature of the soil?

Please accept my apologies for asking this question here under this gorgeous film section, but…

4. aranya says:

Hi Elle,
    Delighted to hear that you’re finding the book useful. I used the bottles in great numbers on this garden here:
    I found that they were very resilient, the only damage occurred when one of the farm workers did some strimming (flicked stones I guess). I made the beds during the winter when the clay ground was moist & soft – at that time of year the bottles just pushed into the soil. They were there really as a way of keeping the soil in place & providing an edge, but I suspect the glass also created a good microclimate for plants at the edges. I decided to let the slugs eat the labels off the bottles (apparently they like the glue), feeling that it was probably also a decoy from the plants. I’d certainly use bottles again & they seemed very safe (bottles have to be tough anyway).

5. Elle says:

Aranya, you ROCK! Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Now I’m even more of a fan than I’d already become since I started reading your book yesterday. I’m participating in an online PDC through Glacial Lakes Permaculture right now and was looking for supplemental books to the one we’re using as a text (Rosemary Morrow’s “Earth Users” book).

I must say that your Permaculture Design book is an ABSOLUTE MUST for anyone who’s serious about learning how to do permaculture design. I like everything about it including the large, easy-to-read font, the photos, your clear and concise way of explaining everything….well, I could go on and on.

Permaculture just seems to be getting its roots in the US and you have made this undertaking inspired and more exciting than I ever thought it would be. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6. aranya says:

That’s great to hear Elle, if you have a moment & feel like adding a review on Amazon that would be very much appreciated:

Perhaps we are fortunate here in the UK being in such a densely populated place as it is much easier for us to link up & work together. Good to hear that things are picking up in the US too though.

Enjoy the rest of your course & your permaculture life ahead! ;)

Best wishes, Aranya